Friday, March 07, 2008

Big Bag Swap Questionnaire




1. Do you knit, crochet, or do both? For how long?
I both knit and crochet, but much prefer knitting. Learned to crochet as a youngster, learned to knit the summer I turned 9 (self-taught....library book). Did mostly crochet projects or plain garter scarves until about 8 years ago when I returned to grad school, saw a classmate knitting in those LOOOOOOONG lectures and found it the perfect antidote for a wandering mind...and I don't think the needles have been empty since. Now I only crochet borders or very lacy types of baby blankets.

2. What other crafts do you do, if any?
There are other crafts? No seriously, I sew...occasionally still quilt, embroider a bit, and enjoy beading.

3. What are your favorite colors? Colors you loathe?
I LOVE almost any shade of green or purple...reds and browns come in next...blues need to be more turquoise than navy, and yes, I even like ORANGE, especially combined with red and yellow....colors I loathe....umm...maybe black...but only because it shows so much dog/cat hair!


4. Favorite yarn brands? Fiber types? Yarn you can't stand?
Hmmmmm....I have LOTS of favorites and really never met a yarn I didn't like. Most any of the Elann.com house brands especially the Pamir or Seta Lana, Malabrigo of course. And then there is Noro.(Kureyon, Silk Garden, Big Kureyon)..my true loves....and Plymouth Baby Alpaca...I really like any natural fiber, especially alpaca or merino...especially blended with silk..mmmm... oh oh...wait I know...I really don't enjoy knitting with Fixation or Esprit!

5. What is your favorite type of item to knit/crochet?
I like to knit shawls, hats, sweaters and baby gear, mittens, and socks every once in a while.

6. What kind of needles do you like? (i.e. circular, straight, metal, bamboo, etc.)
I switched over to KnitPicks Options a couple of years ago and seriously have not looked back. Will pull out the old Brittany Birch's for super slippery yarns like SeaSilk. I would love to try the KnitPicks small size circulars for sox on 2 needles, along with their regular DPNs. And I also am hoping to try the KnitPicks Harmony needles at some point (heh..pun intended!)

7. Any knitting tools you lack but crave?
I enjoy collecting and using different stitch markers. And can always use little notion bags, small cutting implements,and point protectors.

8. Patterns you've been dying to get but haven't yet?
Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawl book is at the top of my list....


9. Do you drink coffee, tea, cocoa? Flavors you love/hate?
I like strong black coffee (Seattle's Best...Henry's Blend) and have an Oregon Chai daily. I also drink cocoa (mostly at work on night-call) and love a mocha/chocolate flavor. I love good English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast teas....I don't care for all the extra fancy flavors (hazelnut..irish cream....coconut..bleah..leave those for the teenyboppers I say!) but a hint of mint, vanilla, raspberry, citrus or chocolate is welcome. Green teas are nice too but I tend to reach for the black teas first.

10. Favorite sweets & snacks?
Dark dark dark chocolate. Dried fruits. Nuts. (Hot Tamales but don't tell anyone!)

11. Any pets, kids, spouses? Spouses that act like pets or kids? (j/k)
My house is a zoo. Two Cats, two horses-they're in the backyard and the barn but have been known to walk right into the den from the deck if the door is open) three dogs, one DH, one almost 16yr old DD, and the 86 yr old granny round out the fam.

12. Favorite things to knit/crochet for the above, if applicable?
The man loves his handknit hats and wears them DAILY in winter. Handknit sweaters...he's not so excited about..whatever. DD loves to wear her handknit hats and fingerless mitts, and the little grandma Clara....she enjoys the coat and shawl I've knit for her!


13. What kinds of books do you like to read? Favorite authors or genres?
Very eclectic reading tastes....for low brain energy days/nights...fangbanger trash is great (Charlaine Harris, Laurel K. Hamilton) but generally speaking I enjoy GOOD fantasy/sci-fi, most historical accounts...like Nathanial Philbrick's 'In the Heart of the Sea', fiction like Ken Follett's 'Pillars of the Earth' and 'World Without End'. I'm a pretty rabid reader so there's always something different going on in each bag or room of the house.

14. Do you collect anything? (besides yarn! LOL!)
Sock monkeys (especially old tatty ones from the thrift store), Rolling pins, any type of 'peapod' art, old knitting needles, old (1940 or earlier) medical, nursing, midwifery, public health books, native art.

15. What, if any, are your non-craft related hobbies?
Hiking, Gardening (flower and vegetable). Reading. Thrift store shopping, camping & fishing.


16. Scents you adore? Scents that make you gag? I LOVE Patchouli, lavender, citrus fragrances. Vanillas, warm spicy fragrances. I don't care for the super floral scents or the cookie/cake/berry sort of mixtures. Don't really enjoy the smell of wet dog, or catbox either though ;0


17. What is your idea of a relaxing time?
Relaxing time for me is sitting on my deck/in my garden/on the sofa in front of the fireplace, drinking a glass of beer/wine/water or cup of tea/coffee/cocoa and just reading or knitting or beading away.

18. Oh yeah, are you on Ravelry and if so, care to share your Ravelry ID?
I am on Ravelry....LisaW...(all run together like that!)

1 comment:

smariek said...

Cute new Meez you've got, but it's also so cruel. I've been craving sushi & sashimi lately, but am avoiding raw fish right now. DH is the food police, and is still reprimanding me for the seared ahi tuna I had a little while back.