Monday, October 08, 2007

Finally, A Day Off......



Whew, she says...flipping the sweat from her brow with a brisk motion of her fingertips.....i have worked 4-20 hours a day...every day...for the past 16 days. Last night...beginning at 8pm...began the first >24 hour stretch at home. aaaaahhhhhh....transitioning from one job to another involves a lot of very hard work in the short term......

But it's not terrible at all. I love what I do. And even when it's hard, wretchedly hard, it's still rewarding. There is no place else, no other time, when Hope, and Joy, and the greater mystery...all can come together. Every once in a while, you see it...it shines like glittering golden dust motes, slowly swirling around, faster and with more energy as the mothers' efforts coax their babies out.....until a semi-visible cone of light focuses itself on the brand new face in my hands...culminating in a shockwave of joy exploding through the room with the first intake of breath and indignant howl.
I am a tired, yet content midwife this morning. Sitting in flannel jammies and sweatshirt, sipping a cup of tea.

But I have an agenda today. I decided the Scroll pattern was not what I had in mind for the Devon. It was frogged and is now turning into the VanDyke Check pattern, a simple textural that has a nice effect with this yarn. Lace patterns and Texture patterns..this yarn knits up both beautifully....Anyway, I want to finish this swatch and see how it blocks out before this evening.



The rest of today will also be dedicated to finishing up the HUGe project! It needs to be in the mail by Friday. I started it about 2 weeks ago when I had 16 hrs at home..and it will need a 3-4 hour stretch to finish up today (i'm estimating..hah..not necessarily good at that sometimes)...Pearl has been protecting it from the nosy canines......



I ordered the Sierra Aran from Elann.com, in Lichen, for the man's Cobblestone. He likes how it feels and it will be worn over a t-shirt and it doesn't come up on his neck...so he SHOULD wear it! (unlike the Galway turtleneck from a few years back..oh well ;P )

I really wanted to order some of that Lang Moon in their blowout sale..$25.00/bag...wow...but I'm gritting my teeth and behaving because I don't need more stash enhancement at all right now. Wow, me excercising self-control and discipline...what a concept. I'm anxious to get started with the Christmas knitting.
We had our first bit of snow yesterday morning. About a 1/2" to 1" in East Anchorage/Muldoon area to the hospital...it was gone by noon...but the snow has quietly crept down the mountainsides this past week, and full winter will be here before we know it. Stay warm and knit on.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Isn't it great to find your true calling in life?
Sounds like you are loving your work and that is excellent!
I never knew what it meant to "love your work" until I fell into grooming dogs. It may not be everyone's idea of a good time, but it sure works for me!
Of course it's a wee bit less monumental than helping to birth a baby!! LOL

Holly Jo said...

Everyone said go to the hospital when you don't think you can knit through the contractions anymore. When does the midwife stop knitting? :)

Anonymous said...

The "man" loves this women!

Anonymous said...

Your job is truly amazing. When I was a child I wanted to be a pediatrician because I loved babies. Everything about them. I am fascinated, You make me want to go back to school and become a midwife myself, actually to the point where I have researched programs at Tuft's University. You may be an enabler for more then just knitting.

kellygirl said...

You've been working like a crazy woman--you deserve the Moon! I thought you would be all over the amber and fallish colors. It is refreshing to hear how much you love your work. It's not something I hear very often.

Your man will love the sierra aran. I wore mine almost all day today--warm, cozy and squishy!

smariek said...

Enjoy your day off! You still need to take them even though you love your job. It's great that you can even say this. I know so many people who can't make that claim.

Joan said...

"Stash enhancement"...LOL.