Sunday, November 19, 2006

Morning Cheer


MidwifeKnits

Fake Isle-Not Happening. Wasted an evening on it. With a different variagated yarn-maybe-but i don't think i like colorwork at this large of a gauge/this weight of yarn-maybe it's just me.

Fingerless Mitts-Whoo baby! Now you're talking! There was quite a commotion about Fingerless Mitts after Benne posted her beautiful HW rendition of the IK Holiday 2006 issue cable fingerless mitt pattern in the Elann.com chat room. Gorgeous job she did. Totally inspired me. Alas, that is the ONLY IK I don't have (seriously...going back almost 5 years! I have all of them!) And I DON"T have it because she and Bets panned it so much as a rerun of all the other neat little gift patterns. So, being the frugal midwife that I am..I said to myself..."I will not get it". And of course, now...that is the one pattern I want most of all...at this point in time. But fear not...CBM to the rescue with a link to a very similar pattern with one major difference...FREE!!!!... thank you CBM!

What you see now is one of an almost completed pair of "Cabled Fingerless" by Kimberly Gintar over at http://www.thegivingflower.de
Go take a look at her easy peasy well-written pattern for knitting these cuties up in the round!
The gauge--err--whatever it says in the pattern--(i didn't check). The needles, a set of 4 sz 6 Brittany double points. The yarn....good as sunshine on a blustery day Kureyon....my modifications-used 44 stitches instead of 48 due to increased yarn weight....note...had to work to push Kureyon around on size 6s at times..but the resulting dense warm fabric is so worth it.

These will be a Christmas gift for DD. Have a great rest of the weekend...Will be finishing that B&B this week Benne!

8 comments:

Grace said...

super pretty, I need to get some more Kureyon. I have to knit another pair of these as a Christmas gift!!! Love reading what you are up to Lisa!

Anonymous said...

Oh rats, Lisa! Sorry! Honestly, I still don't think it's worth the money if you subscribe to the magazine. I love that mitt of yours, knockout color. I finished my second mitt. Maybe today I can do a little B&B. No, not Benedictine and Brandy, but that's not a bad idea either. ;-}

junior_goddess said...

That photo is taken in the afternoon, tho, isn't it Lisa? The wristwarmers are great!

LisaW. said...

sorry bets...nope it was about 10am when the photo was taken. Just starting to get some good daylight!(but you are right in that it looks the same at about 3pm...as the sun is setting.

CatBookMom said...

The mitts are looking great, though I don't know how anyone can wear Kureyon next to the skin, lol! Glad to help with the pattern link.

Anonymous said...

I love those gloves! Fingerless mitts have been on my agenda, and now I will make some, thanks to the inpsiration from my elann friends!

jayne said...

Love the glove, Lisa -- gotta get that pattern. Thank goodness it's free. I missed out on the IK pattern too. Oh well...there are always more. CBM has to be one of the most resourceful pattern-people I know!!

smariek said...

Mmm... those fingerless mitts look so cozy as I sit here with cold hands trying to type this comment. Thanks for the pattern, I'm moving this further up on the "to knit" list.