Saturday, November 11, 2006

doggie love


MidwifeKnits

I started a MEME yesterday. It's one of those "100 things about me". Well..it's also one of the assignments I give my patients in the groups I facilitate. I haven't done one of these lists in a VERY long time so I thought I'd give it a go. My objectives for my patients are to develop and flesh out a sense of who they are and what is important for them in their lives...and I ask them to be honest with themselves. Their are limits and borders to different individual's comfort levels with sharing aobut themselves..the good and the not so good and the downright ugly. And you really have to dig for 100 different things. I'm still somewhere in the 70s.

Besides, as an exercise for myself, it's very therapeutic and a little eye-opening when I read it over. It must be done thoughtfully to have any value. That being said, I'm not sure as to whether I'm comfortable putting it up on the blog. It's not anything I wouldn't care if people I work with, work for, or my patients ever know. I think I'm a pretty open person, but my best girlfriend shakes her head and says..."er...not so ", which I find REALLY interesting. On the other hand, I've a history of journaling..nothing regular...and not of anything to note..just a way to make sense of my place in the world around me. To organize my thoughts about life. Anyway...

Besides knitting, birthin,and the family...the critters hold a huge place in my life. You've already met Pearl the Purrfect Persian...so now..you can meet Tallulah!
Lulu for short...She's an Irish Wolfhound (Wheaten)..about 6 years old now which is getting very mature for the giant breeds. She weighs just a snudge (about 3#) more than me right now. Put into perspective, I'm 5'9". She's the 3rd IW I've been heartfasted to. I know that sounds medieval and melodramatic, but honestly these are the most amazing animals. The are called hearthounds for a reason. Their intelligence and gentleness are their legacy. They are truly the gentle giants. You can see a fine example of the role of IWs in the movie "The Thirteenth Warrior" with that oh-so-yummy Antonio Banderas. Two reasons this is one of the very short list of movies I will watch more than once. But, I digress. Here in all our doggie love glory is my Lulu girl! She was born in Arizona and has a lovely pedigree. We previewed video after video of her until she was old enough to leave her mom and come to live with us! She is soooo sweet and goofy, but dreadfully lazy! She was spayed as soon as possible (ANOTHER OF MY SOAPBOXES!!!) and is an ideal family member...except for eating the odd shoe..dining room chair..antique linen chest.. as a pup. She's my walking buddy, lounging buddy, big love girl. When I'm on the computer, she's lying on the floor behind my chair. When I'm knitting, she's lying across the threshold like a barrier to the intrusions of the outside world. She looooves doggie treats...and people treats...and ear scratches.

3 comments:

SooZ said...

I've always been intrigued by the Irish Wolfhound breed, which are big yet gentle in appearance. It was lovely to read about your dog.

Suzie

CatBookMom said...

A couple of lifetimes ago, I had the acquaintance of Owen, an Irish wolfhound, part of an Irish friend's family. A gentle giant, indeed, except for the table-clearing tail wags and shoe-filling doggy drools, lol! I have some lovely, funny memories of him. Give Lulu a good ear-scratch in Owen's memory.

Having a Knit Fitt said...

Oh those giant hairy heart hounds. Thanks for the introduction.